Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Hobby


This post reminded me of a conversation I had with Ansley when she was about 5 years old.  She asked me what a "hobby" was.  I told her that a hobby was something that you liked to do in your spare time, something that you enjoyed and wanted to do a lot.
She then looked at me and excitedly said, "I know what your hobby is!"
"What?" I asked.
"Cleaning the house!'
Um....yeah...

I had mixed feelings about that conversation.  Do my kids see me cleaning and/or fretting about things not being clean so much that they think this my hobby?  Do I spend too much time worrying about that, and not enough time playing with them, doing fun things with them that they enjoy, or doing things that I enjoy??

Also, even though she thought my hobby was cleaning the house, my house was not always clean.  It still isn't.  I am not one of those neat people.  I make messes, my kids make messes, and then we have to clean it up.

And guess what?  Coincidentally, I am doing a lot of my "hobby" this week!  My kids are on winter break and I am leaving for the states on Tuesday to take Bronwyn to college.  So, since I work best with a deadline, I have been cleaning out closets, cabinets, under beds, junky drawers, etc.  ( I would show pictures, but I'm too embarrassed!)
My lovely assistant....
I have hired an assistant who needs to earn money for a school trip to be my "slave" during this process. She has been a great babysitter and lunch cooker.  Today she is helping Carys organize her room.

I still have several other areas on my "list", and I'm not sure how much I'll get done.  But it feels good to get at least some things organized!  (hey, that sounds like it may be my hobby, after all...)

No comments:

Post a Comment