Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Motherhood


I am blessed with 6 wonderful kids.  Their ages are all spread out - 19, 17, 14, 11, 6 and 2.  For those of you who don't know our story, we had planned on having 4 kids.  Then we were blessed with Anderson - a wonderful surprise.  After that, there was just a nagging feeling that we were supposed to have one more.  So after a bit of a struggle, God gave us a "gracious gift"  - Giovanni, our 2 year old.

I have been a mother for 19 years, and I have loved every phase of motherhood.  I loved it when we just had one little girl to dress up like a doll.  Then two little girls to watch their sister relationship grow.  Then the fun of having a little boy who was chunky and loved to play ball.  Then a little spirited girl who rounded out perfectly our family.  Until....God surprised us with a precious little boy who stole all our hearts and then blessed us with another little one to keep us young.  I have enjoyed every part of this journey.

Here is a little about what my motherhood journey is about right now (like this past week) .....

I watch from afar as my oldest flourishes at college - making new friends, learning new things, becoming exactly who she was made to be.  I miss her, but I am really happy for her.  I am looking forward to her being home for Christmas.

I listen from far away as my senior in high school takes a trip with her school to a totally different country, gets sick, and has to depend on prayer, herself and people she barely knows to see her through.  She recovers quickly and is back to her friendly self - laughing and having fun.

I help my 8th grader study for two important tests.  One in math that I have no clue about, and one in science that I can figure out.  I make up practice tests, and pray for him to be free from distractions.  After a long weekend of studying and helping, I am so glad that he tells me "Mom, I feel really good about both my tests."

I move my brain back from teenage girls, to pre-teen girls as I listen to my 11 year old whisper secrets about who likes who in her 5th grade class.  I invent things to do with her - painting, crafts, shopping because she is my last girl and I don't want the time to go by.

I listen as my 6 year old chatterbox boy talks about soccer, friends, school, and asks a million questions.  I cut his hair to look like some soccer player (I forgot who.)   I love that he is still little enough that I can pick him up and hold him.  He loves for me to read to him.

I cuddle and play with a little one.  I interpret his language so everyone will know what he is saying.  I suffer through his teething - being grouchy and making a million dirty diapers a day.  I read books, watch movies, play with toys and clean up behind his trail of messes.

That is my life as a mother right now.  It is full.  But, in thinking about it, every phase has been full.  I think that's what mothers do.  They give themselves fully to every part of mothering - whether it is to one kid or to six.  And in that giving, we are blessed.

Hope you have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment