It was really great. Here's why:
* My daughter in college with some help from her roommate made me a customized birthday video and put in on facebook. If you haven't seen it, you can ask to be my friend and take a look. It is really special. Technology is awesome when you are far away from people you love.
(Bronwyn is on the right, her roommate, Asia, on the left.)
* Throughout the day I got lots of e-mails and facebook messages from family and friends. They were all very special and so much more meaningful since I am so far away! Thanks, everyone!
* I am staying at the house of some friends of ours in the state of São Paulo. On my birthday, I had a delicious lunch that I didn't have to cook OR clean up after. That is rare!
(Giovanni eating his beans and rice. Can you tell how much he enjoyed it?)
* After lunch, I gave myself a birthday present. While Giovanni was taking a nap, I got a book and floated around in the pool reading for an hour or two. I can't think of anything more relaxing than that. (by the way, the book is called "The Book Thief" - Cheryl, you were right - I'm loving it.)
* Then at night we went out for pizza and birthday cake. Yummy!
* I went to sleep listening to rain pounding on the roof. A perfect ending to a great day.