Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Only One Thing, part 2

As I said on Monday, I feel like God is trying to teach me to focus on the one thing that is most important - my relationship with Him.

After re-reading my Monday post, I feel like I left the impression that I am a worry wart or that I go around stressed out about everything.  I don't.  I'm not a worrier - I used to be, but thankfully I have learned that worrying is a huge waste of time and energy.

My struggle isn't with worrying or stressing out (although I will admit, I still do have moments of both).  My struggle is this:  where is the focus of my mind in my day to day activities?

When I'm working in the house, when I'm cooking, when I'm paying bills, when I'm planning church activities or visiting people.  How about when I'm doing nothing?   Where is the focus of my mind?  Jesus told Martha that there was only one thing worth being concerned about.  Is there only one thing that I allow myself to be concerned about??

Like I said, this question has come up several times in the past few weeks, in several different ways.

Here are some more convicting nuggets from the Jesus Calling book:

"As you keep your focus on Me, I form you into the one I desire you to be..."


"When My Presence is the focal point of your consciousness, all the pieces of your life fall into place...."


"Let the goal of this day be to bring every thought captive to Me.  Whenever your mind wanders, lasso those thoughts and bring them into My Presence.....  Confused ideas are untangled while you rest in the simplicity of My Peace."


"Whatever occupies your mind the most becomes your god."  (OUCH!)


"Let Me be your positive Focus.  When you look to Me, knowing Me as God with you, you experience Joy.  This is according to My ancient design, when I first crafted man.  Modern man seeks his positive focus elsewhere:  in sports, sensations, acquiring new possessions.  Advertising capitalizes on the longing of people for a positive focus in their lives.  I planted that longing in human souls, knowing that only I could fully satisfy it.  Delight yourself in Me, let Me become the Desire of your heart."


Another teaching moment came when I was running the other day.  I had decided to listen to a sermon podcast and chose one by Britt Merrick.  We have several of his sermons downloaded on iTunes, but I had never listened to one.  In looking for something that would hold my attention and get my mind off of the long run I was facing, I chose one called "A 4-year-old's Theology".  You can download it free on iTunes -Reality (Audio).  (click here and then scroll down to #144).  I highly encourage you to listen to this.  There were lots of good points made and you will enjoy listening to it.  The part that jumped out at me was what his definition is of a "Practical Athiest".  A person who believes in God, but doesn't necessarily include Him in his day to day activities.  That really made me think.

Well, I hope you are getting the idea of what I've been thinking about.  In the next day or two, I'll share more about what I'm trying to do about all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment