Sunday, February 26, 2012

Only One Thing


Have you ever come across something in the Bible that just stuck out - like it was written just for you that day at that moment?

And then you hear a song about that same thing?  and then a book falls into your lap about that same thing?  and then your friend talks to you about it again?

I think that is God trying to get a message across - and many times it seems like the Spirit says the same thing to different people to get a message to the world.

Well, that is what has been going on with me.  So this week I just wanted to share what I feel like God is trying to teach me so far this year.

It started with the book Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young.  I love this book.  It has helped me finally learn to have a consistent quiet time on an almost daily basis.  I always read the devotional thought, then look up the scriptures given and write them out.  Then I write or meditate on what God is trying to say to me that day through the book or the scriptures.

On January 2nd, we were directed to read Luke 10:39-42.  The story of Mary and Martha:


     As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.  Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
     But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I have read this story and even studied it many times.  But this one line just stood out to me:

There is only one thing worth being concerned about. 

What is the only thing worth being concerned about?  Well, there's your kids, and your marriage, and your  church family, and your lost friends, and your parents, and all the sick people, your house, your grouchy boss, that hard test coming up,  etc....
According to this passage, it wasn't (and isn't) any of those things.  Mary had discovered what it was.

In this story Mary was doing two things:  Sitting and Listening.

Martha was:  Worrying, Preparing, Complaining, and Upset over Details

The only thing worth being concerned about was just sitting and listening to Jesus.

Let's be honest - most days do you focus on listening to Jesus or on worrying, preparing, details, etc...

That's what got me to thinking.  How can I get to the point where the only thing that I'm concerned about is listening to Jesus - learning from him, growing my relationship with him.

There is only one thing worth being concerned about. 

(more tomorrow...)

2 comments:

  1. I do the exact same thing you do! And I loved that day. I wrote in my bible: God, help me to be a Mary, not a Martha! I love you mom and I love that we are doing the same devo book! It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful observation! I have probably gone through my life concerned about the things that God has told me He will handle for me. Not a single sparrow goes unnoticed. So where should my trust be? Isn't it amazing how you can read and study God's word all your life and then something like Mary and Martha just hits you in the face?

    Love You,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete