Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Pancake Recipe

Before I moved to Brazil, I thought I was a pretty good cook. Actually, I just knew how to follow a recipe. And most of the recipes that I used involved a can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Kind of a casserole queen.

Well, here in Brazil, we don't have cans of cream of ____ soup. Unless you want to pay 6 dollars for one can that is imported from the US and may or may not be the flavor you need. So I pretty much had to re-invent the way I cooked.

Later, I want to do a post on my favorite cookbooks since moving to Brazil. Maybe it would help other girls living overseas or maybe some US people who are tired of the can of soup casserole routine.

But, today I want to share just one recipe. Of course, here we don't have Bisquick, or Hungry Jack pancake mix. So, pancakes are from scratch, as well as the maple syrup that goes on top. Interestingly, when we were on furlough this past year, I made pancakes with a box mix and put store-bought syrup on top. I didn't like it, and neither did my family. It tasted very "chemical", and the syrup kind of sat on the top of the pancakes instead of oozing down into them like we are used to.

So, without further explanation, here is my pancake recipe. You can check out Bronwyn and I making and eating these on our family blog .

Homemade Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 T. vinegar and enough milk to make 2 cups)
2 T. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder (I import mine from the US because the Brazilian is not as strong.)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil

Mix all ingredients together. Cook on griddle, med-high heat- mine is teflon so I don't grease it. Add blueberries if you want to.


Maple Syrup
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
pinch of salt
Heat on stove until boiling. Turn off heat and stir in 
1/2-1 t. maple flavoring. 
Ladle warm syrup onto pancakes, or store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment