Friday, January 1, 2010

My Theme for 2010

I am terrible at New Year's Resolutions.  So terrible, that I haven't even bothered to make any for the past few years, because I knew I would break them - soon.  So, I don't do that.  But, I was inspired by this post on another blog to choose a word or theme for the year.  Something that I want to focus on or work on for 2010.  

As I began to think about this, two words popped into my mind - Consistency and Discipline.  Yes!  I need these.  I had decided that these two would be my words for 2010.  I am a list-maker, a planner and a doer.  But sometimes (more often than not) my lists and plans don't get done. (e.g.  the new year's resolutions...).  So I feel frustrated and mad and sometimes go around doing nothing when I have plenty to do just because I am so mad and frustrated with myself.  Does that make sense?  Surely more Consistency and Discipline were what I needed.

One morning recently, I shared my frustration with myself over a certain task that I didn't do that day, mainly because of lack of discipline.  After hearing this broken record, my husband, who knows me better than anyone, walked into another room and picked up the book that he is currently reading:  The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning.
He had me read a chapter and then asked me what stood out the most to me in that chapter.  Amazingly, what stood out to me was exactly what he wanted me to glean from reading the chapter.  Here it is...

I've decided that if I had my life to live over again, I would not only climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets;  I wouldn't only jettison my hot water bottle, raincoat, umbrella, parachute, and raft;  I would not only go barefoot earlier in the spring and stay out later in the fall; but I would devote not one more minute to monitoring my spiritual growth.  No, not one.....What would I do if I had it to do all over again?  Heeding John's counsel, I would simply do the next thing in love.

So, discipline?  Yes I do need that.  (Coincidentally, this blogger chose that word - for all the same reasons I would have chosen it.)  But, what I recognized that I need more is just to take it one thing at a time, and do the next thing in love.

So, this is my theme for 2010:
Do the next thing...in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment